Executive couple in New York City (UES) is looking for an incredibly accomplished Private Chef as their chef of 20+ years will be retiring soon. This position will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the chef who is selected!
The principals enjoy a wide variety of cuisines; their preferences range from simple to complex. Their favorite cuisines include: Indian, Japanese, Greek, through to fusion styles etc. When the family entertains (before COVID, and hopefully again soon!) they enjoy creating fun and whimsical culinary experiences for their guests.
There is no food budget. However, the expectation is that the chef reduces waste at every turn.
The family has a beautiful and fully equipped professional chef’s kitchen which should be meticulously maintained at all times - a messy, disorganised chef, who is unable to maintain a spotless kitchen, or forensically clean and sanitise at every step of the cooking process (this includes washing-up and wiping down "as you go") will be unsuited to this job!
- Schedule: Wednesday-Sunday. The family can be flexible, but one weekend work day is required
- Lunch and dinner
- Occasionaly: long hours, late nights, holidays
- Start Date: ASAP
- NYS chefs only, please
- No travel required!
COVID Safety Measures:
The successful candidate must be willing to comply with all COVID-related regulations and safety/health standards issued by local and state officials, especially mask-wearing outside the home and strictly limiting all unmasked interactions. Our client’s goal is to create a healthy, happy, and safe work environment for their team and their family!
NOTE: without exceptions, candidates MUST already live in NYC and MUST have the legal right to work in the USA.
TYPE OF HOUSEHOLD
Professional / Philanthropist, Formal Household, City Based
- Excellent Salary and Benefits | DOE
- Full Medical/dental plan
- Paid vacation days
- Paid sick days/holidays
- Discretionary year-end bonus
We are searching for candidates who have worked for at least a few families; for several years each, longevity in current/past positions is one of the critical considerations for this role. Top-level restaurant experience is also very important; chefs should have reached the Sous Chef or Chef de Cuisine level in Michelin* kitchens.
***Our client offers a work environment which is positive, stable, and friendly, many of their staff members have been with them for decades.***
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare casual, and formal, lunches and dinners for family and guests
- Adjust to family and guests’ preferences, which can change from time to time
- Preparation of fine desserts/pastries
- Cook lunch for staff (4) people daily
- Plan and execute parties for 2-20 people
- Perform all grocery shopping for the household and routinely manage a 200+ item grocery list while continuously maintaining a fully stocked kitchen
- Conduct a meticulous daily check of all perishable foods (fruit, vegetables, etc.) immediately disposing of and replacing as needed
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be extremely detail-oriented
- Maintain a neat and safe kitchen
- Food/wine inventory control
- Leave snacks in the refrigerator, prepare food for following days as needed
- Chef should have a keen and proven understanding of food/ kitchen sanitation
You are a team player who thrives on working with others. You’re kind to everyone and have the ability to take direction and accept constructive feedback. You have a history of longevity in current/past positions, you are a master of all things food, wine, and service. Preparing a simple soup for lunch brings you as much joy as creating a trendy 7-course dinner.
Your culinary career has taken you around the world, and you’ve picked up a wealth of tricks along the way, you’ve spent time in the best restaurants and know how to efficiently execute small, intimate dinners, and significantly larger events, with ease. Your many years of experience serving prominent families have helped to hone your ability to work in a thoughtful and refined fashion, you understand the importance of professional boundaries and have a service heart.
Feeling appreciated within in a collaborative environment is important to you, you have a phenomenal work ethic and enjoy a job well-done!
- Must have reached Sous Chef or Chef de Cuisine level in Michelin* restaurants, the chef should also have several years experience as a Private Chef for prominent families
- Candidates for this position MUST currently live within a reasonable distance from Manhattan-no exceptions on this requirement. Able to work a very flexible schedule
- Must be open to working most holidays including Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
- Must be able to willingly accommodate the needs of the family, and last-minute schedule changes, with a smile!
- Chefs should be open to direct feedback from the family
- Must have extensive experience preparing a wide variety of authentic cuisines
- Authorized to work legally in the United States
- Must be able to pass an in-depth background investigation
- Excellent references from past employers
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record-willing to use personal vehicle for work
- Must be able to make a long-term commitment to the family
- Must be able to stand, bend, stretch, reach, run, and lift up to 50#
- Non-smokers/vapers only.